Off-campus Places to Dance
- Academy of Social Dance: Owned by renowned Italian latin champion Chuck Danza, this studio is located in the heart of center city. The dance floor is small and crowded leaving a little something to be desired, but hey, it's convenient and better than dancing in your living room!
- Atrium Dance Studio: Owned and run by Barbara Capaldi, one of the premier social dancing teachers in the area, this NJ studio always has a nice crowd for all their socials, from latin nights, to ballroom nights, to milongas. For a truly social dancing crowd, this is the place to go. A bit hot in the summer due to some air conditioning problems, but otherwise, a very nice studio.
- Chevy Chase: Located in DC, they have dances twice a month that are well attended by people in the area. Great place for social dancing if you feel like you want a change in venue - or even just a reason to visit DC.
- Dance Haddonfield: If you would like a place to dance, every Sunday, in a friendly atmosphere with great dance music, then you may be interested in Dance Haddonfield! An hour lesson is taught before every social at 7pm, with a different class taught every week. The dance runs from 8-10:30. Couples and singles welcome. Admission is $15 ($13 for USA Dance members). Dance Haddonfield is located in Haddonfield, New Jersey.
- La Luna Dance Studio: Located at 4610 Bensalem Blvd, Bensalem, PA 19020, La Luna Dance Studio, 215 638-0418.
5,000 sq ft beautiful hardwood dance floor, plenty of free parking. Public transportation: R7 Croydon Station stop, free shuttle service from the station available, call in advance to arrange the pick up. First and third Friday of every month: Strictly Ballroom Dance Parties, 7:45 pm-12:30 am, dinner buffet, dance lesson and dancing, professional DJs. $10 admission with a student ID. Second and fourth Friday of every month: Salsa Friday Dance Parties, 8:30 pm-2:00 am, dinner buffet, dance lesson and dancing, professional DJs. $10 admission with a student ID.
- Rutgers: Hosts social dances during the year about once a month. Great place for students that enjoy social dancing, especially with people that they only normally see at competitions. Located in the gym, it isn't the best of all locations, but with such a large group coming from all around, it's not so much about the venue as it is about the dancing.
- Society Hill Ballroom: Located in the Society Hill area (next to South Street), this is an elegant, yet slightly more pricey studio. It's fairly new, so they haven't gotten a chance to build up a huge following yet, but for a younger ballroom crowd and for beginners, their Thursday night dances are a good option.
- Stardust Ballroom: Just over the Ben Franklin Bridge, this is the largest ballroom in the near vicinity. Their Friday night dances boast a large crowd that fills the ballroom with friendly ballroom folks. Included with Friday night admission is free a free lesson, free dinner, and a mixer dance to help you meet other dancers.
- Take the Lead Dance Studio: Located at 320 Lantana Drive, Lantana Square, Hockessin, Delaware. Take the Lead Dance Studio also offers lessons and weekly dances. Open Monday-Saturday.
- Universal Dance Center: A great place to start out learning ballroom and latin dancing. Their classes are well taught with a strong emphasis on the basics of being a great dancer. Its social dances aren't as populated as other studios, but its latin technique (PDR) class on Saturdays is top-notch.